How to Audit a Class
The Evergreen program offers a unique opportunity to audit BU undergraduate and graduate classes. Engage with the student community, learn from world-class faculty, and contribute to the educational environment on campus. Your presence in the classroom enriches the learning experience for everyone—our younger students are exposed to the insight of experience, and you benefit from new perspectives.
- Fall 2019 courses begin September 3 (see entire Academic Year)
- Eligibility to audit: 58 years of age or older and consent of instructor
- Cost: $450 per for a Learning Passport (details here Passport)
- Evergreen students are responsible for any course related fees, such as applied music, technology, or lab fees, etc.
- Please note, occasionally, students will not be able to audit a class, even with the permission of the professor, due to a seating capacity being reached. Exceptions cannot be made.
Choose a Class
Register to Audit
- Complete the Evergreen Auditing Registration Form.
- Payment can be made online by logging in to this website (upper right-hand corner) or when you visit the Evergreen Office when submitting your paperwork.
- Attend the first class to obtain the instructor’s signature (required). Acceptance is at the discretion of the instructor, on a space-available basis.
- Submit the completed and signed registration and auditing conduct form to the Evergreen office located at 1010 Commonwealth Avenue, 1st Floor, Boston (T-stop Babcock Street). Incomplete forms can cause delays in processing.
The Fall 2019 registration period is:
10 a.m.–3 p.m.
September 3 - 16
No forms will be accepted after the last day of the registration period.
After Registering to Audit a Course
- The Evergreen office will email you a confirmation indicating that we have begun processing your paperwork, usually within two business days.
- The University Registrar will email a confirmation of enrollment in your class.
- Ask your professor to add you to the Blackboard class.
- New students will be assigned a BU ID# which will be included in your registration confirmation email from the Evergreen Office
- Returning students will use the same BU ID# that you have already been assigned; this will be included in your registration confirmation email from Evergreen Office
BU ID Card
- You can get a new BU ID card at the Terrier Card Office, 775 Commonwealth Ave Lower Level. If you need a replacement card, there will be a charge.
- Please bring your registration confirmation email and BU ID# with you.
- For questions regarding your BU ID card, please contact the Terrier Card Office at 617-353-9966.
BU Login Name/Password
- To set up a BU login name and Kerberos password, visit the IT Help Center at either 179 Amory Street on West Campus or 771 Commonwealth Avenue at the Mugar Library.
- Many faculty use Blackboard Learn for class notes and assignments. If your class uses Blackboard Learn, once registered, your name will appear on a class list generated by the University Registrar. Your professor will need to add you to the class, once you are enrolled by the Registrar.
- For more information regarding access to Blackboard Learn check IS&T’s documentation on Blackboard Learn for students. Please note that it may take 1-2 weeks following registration to gain access to Blackboard Learn due to the high volume of registrations being processed through the Registrar's Office.
- The IT Help Center will answer any questions you have concerning your BU Kerberos account or Blackboard course site. You can reach them by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 353-HELP (4357).
- To find course schedules, visit the Office of the University Registrar.
- Click on “Registration”, then choose “Class Schedule”.
- Enter the semester, then the course #, for example, “CAS WS 114,” or browse by subject.
- Click on “GO.” You will see a list of course numbers and times; click on the course number to have the description pop up.
Changes to Your Class Schedule (Adding/Dropping Classes)
- You may add classes after your initial registration. However, all audited courses must be added before the deadline. To drop a class you have registered for, you must do this through the Evergreen Office at 617-358-1350 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may search for faculty and departments names in the BU Directory. To reach the University operator, call 617-353-2000.
Sexual Assault Prevention Course (required)
Each semester, Boston University (BU) requires new students to take a sexual misconduct course because we care about student well-being and are committed to maintaining a respectful and healthy community.
Emails will be sent to all registrants, including Evergreen students, from BU Wellness & Prevention Services and email@example.com. Guidance will be given to complete a Sexual Assault Prevention course by the due date. It’s important for our entire BU community to be educated on this topic.
BU Evergreen students in undergraduate-level classes should:
BU Evergreen students in
If you have a concern about completing the online course due to its content, please contact Wellness & Prevention Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.